Tuesday, March 15, 2011

linen cushion tutorial




With all my stock of monogrammed sheets, I inevitably have some worn out treasures, that can no longer decently be draped across beds.  While sorting them today I decided to use two of the monograms to make  cushion covers for the guest cottage.

 I used
2 large monograms and remnants of the sheets, 
one heavy metis dischloth.  
a little ribbon
60 minutes of my time (OK it took a bit longer but I'm trying hard to make this sound easy!!)



I made this project as easy as possible.    Rather than fiddling around with buttons to close the cushion, I used sections from the hems of the sheets where I already had a perfect and wide hem, and overlapped these to form an envelope closing.


The first inset monogram is placed behind the linen cover piece.  Here I cut an X opening and opened up a rectangle to the exact size required.



I then basted the monogram in place before hemming it in with small tight stitches.

The second cushion was even simpler - I machine zig-zagged the monogram onto the centre of the cushion linen. 


Then to cover the machine stitches I simply stitched 4 lengths of narrow white ribbon and tied a little knot at each corner.  For those who don't like to sew, all this could have been done with fabric glue.



Once firmly in place I could sew my envelope backing pieces on.  Right side to right side, making sure they overlap enough.



Et voila!




And if you're looking for real old French pillow cases to decorate your sofa or bed,
check out what just arrived in my store.








No comments:

Post a Comment