Saturday, March 26, 2011

18th century in deepest Normandy

Now and again I daydream about moving west, deeper into Normandy.  West is greener, west is emptier, west is packed full of properties to die for ....  what stops me?  well, deepest Normandy is also that much further from Paris,  with fewer decent schools and even less happening... but it is very tempting.

Today I have been dreaming about this little bijoux, loads of land, tons of charm.  Come along and dream with me.....

If I lived here, you could drive over to stay for the weekend.  The wide gates would be open to welcome you, and since it will be  such a balmy summer day, bedroom windows will be flung open too.







We'll walk around the outside of the house.   I think you'll like the little œil de bœuf window hidden in the ivy climbing up the wall.




I'll serve you some tea here, before showing you the  .....



outbuildings, that I haven't yet decided how to use  ..... 
SIGH !  - that roof and those proportions are  to die for!






We'll take a little tour inside and say how lovely the uneven,
mute-coloured stone flooring is , we'll admire the
volumes of the rooms  and how much light comes into the high ceilinged
rooms, and we'll wonder why in heaven's name  the French put their radiators
beneath their beautiful old windows.
(I'll make a note to call the plumber and get those moved!)



I'll explain that we shall be redecorating and buying more furniture
and you'll swoon over  those herringbone floors!



and in the evening before supper, we'll walk around the grounds together and you'll help me plan out the new flower beds, potager and orchards that I'll be planting next fall.



Happy, happy dreams!



And for anyone who wants to do more than just dream, this 18th century little château is for sale at the moment.  The asking price is about 1.3 million euros, but for that you get almost 6.000 sq ft living space,  12 hectares of land, marble fireplaces, herringbone wooden floors, a dozen bedrooms and almost as many bathrooms ad two stunning 17th and 18th century outbuildings, each about 1600 sq ft.
I only ask one small thing in exchange for having shown you this treasure, that when you buy it I get to visit  and watch your work in progress!!

Bon weekend à tout le monde!




All photos and  property details found here

No comments:

Post a Comment