Tuesday, August 10, 2010

a house to dream about

We have moved our horses to greener  pastures for the summer, which makes them extremely happy  ... and fat, so that's all good.   For me this means a long bike ride, or ten minutes in the car to go and check on them each day.

I drive along the valley, following the river, and always slow down at one particular village where there's a house that makes me dream.





The property looks pretty old to me, maybe older than ours, I should guess at least 180 years.  I don't know the owners, and I've never been inside but I always feel compelled to stop and gaze.  As you know, I have a secret longing to live beside water.




Somebody has planted two tall cypress trees rather too close to the corners of the house, and then forgotten to keep the virginia creeper under control, but don't you think the whole thing is so romantic?   Of an evening, the light beside the river is beautifully soft, the garden is quite big with an old outbuilding at the end.




There are signs of people coming now and again, but I don't think it's lived in full time.  I'm afraid I didn't even ask permission to show you these pictures, so I hope I don't get into trouble.




The house looks across the river to this view.  A small road with a couple of very attractive houses sheltered behind tall gates.









And at the  end of the road, leading into the village is this rather sweet house; small, neglected and .......





FOR SALE - any takers?!


No comments:

Post a Comment