Sunday, August 15, 2010

l'escalier francais

In the same way that you can guess the nationality of a tourist from their footwear, so, I think, you can source a house by its stairway.

Look at these pictures, could they be anything other than French?   I love the curve of the stairway, the stone of the steps, the wooden panelling on the walls.

Notice the chandelier in the adjacent room, the symmetrical secret doors inserted into the panelling in the entrance hallway.
 
What I love about his sort of French building is that although it is grand and imposing, it remains  credible as a family home.  It could never feel quite as comfy as a grand English home, but I can see  this hallway with a pile of Wellington boots inside the door, and a labrador or two wandering out of the living room.

















I have a thing about stairways, and I'll be posting about more in a while.

My thanks for the photos to  Mire images



No comments:

Post a Comment