Wednesday, August 18, 2010

French jam pots

When I told you yesterday about my plum jam, I forgot to talk about the star in any French jam story  Le  Pot Parfait.

Rarely has an object so mundane, so inexpensive reached such icon status.






Parfait means perfect and to my mind the name is well deserved.   Available in various sizes, they will store anything from  garden peas, to strawberry jam to a whole confit de canard.

The glass lid swings up and back on a simple metal hinge, in turn linked to the metal band around the neck of the jar.  When the lid is pushed back down,  and the simple metal clip fastened,  the orange rubber seal is airtight.  Parfait!



To go onto the website for Le Parfait is to enter a temple to the god of the preserved legume.  Here you can read the history of the jar; buy every possible size; find recipes; you can even, bless them, enter a competition showing off your own store cupboard of pickles, jams and other preserved meats.




Le Parfait is truly part of French family and culinary history through the generations.




Recently in an ultimate display of affection , French interior magazines have been featuring alternative uses for Parfait pots, or even bits of them.




If I tell you that as I write this post the house is filled with the perfume of raspberry preserve bubbling on my hob, and that lined up on the kitchen table are two rows of Parfait pots, you will understand that this - as always - is written from the heart!


Another thing that comes from the heart is my thanks to you for visiting my blog, reading my posts and leaving such warm comments.   Corresponding with you is one of the great pleasures in my life.  Merci!




I am linking up to the French Obsession Party at Le Chateau des Fleurs for this post.

all photos  Le Parfait


No comments:

Post a Comment