Monday, November 22, 2010

In France we have no turkey day! - A poem for Thanksgiving


You already knew I can't draw, you're about to discover I can't write poetry.  A yearning to have a celebration and forget that winter is arriving. My ode to thanksgiving, or a holiday I can't join in with!




I wish we had a turkey day
to bring some festive cheer
I wish we had good reason
to bring our loved ones near
I wish we could shut out the cold
and warm our house right up
with friends, with kin, with family
invited in to sup

I want to dress my table
I want to light warm fires
I want to fill the house 
with smells of roast meats, sweets and wines
I want to have soft music
I want to offer thanks
for our rich and happy living
with oh!  such trivial wants

But traditions aren't invented
they come down through the times
they're in our blood. they can't be bought
like some expensive wine,
so I'm glad for friends so happy
to celebrate Thanksgiving,
and I'll wait my turn till Christmas
to light my Yuletide pudding!


Un très joyeux Thanksgiving à toutes mes amies!


photo sia

No comments:

Post a Comment