Monday, November 1, 2010

Autumn colours and quince jelly

My friend P, whose house is up for sale, has a cognassier in his garden.  A what?!  .....  a quince tree, a tree to covet if ever there were one.  The quince is elegant, old fashioned, sweet smelling, pretty in flower and über generous in fruit.

I had permission to go up and raid the tree this week, and I took along my camera because the sun was shining and I knew the colours would be worthwhile.

Some people use quinces to perfume their linen cupboards, we prefer the jelly!  A subtle, flowery flavour carried by a beautiful pink jelly.  I'd like to tell you it's really quick and easy to do, but I'd be lying, so instead of sharing the recipe I'll simply share photos of P's garden in autumn, the beautiful quince and a finished pot of jelly.









No comments:

Post a Comment