Thursday, November 11, 2010

ce mercredi je mange .... une tarte aux prunes


Some recipes are just so simple that I wonder why I don't do them everyday - this plum tart is just that sort.

When - in the Autumn - there is a glut of plums here, I hate to see them go to waste.  We eat tarts, I make jam and compote, but some go into the freezer.  Nothing simpler.  Just cut the plums in half, remove the stones then freeze them,  spread out on a tray.  Once they are set hard you can free up the tray and bag the plum halves until you need them.


 When the time comes to make a tart, I simply roll out some sweet or dessert pastry,  (home made or bought) and use it to  line either one big tart dish or several mini tart tins.

If I have the time I pre-bake the pastry, because this prevents it becoming soggy with the plum juice.  Once the pastry is just golden I remove it from the oven and sprinkle the base with a little sugar.  

Plums can be quite a sharp flavour so the sugar is welcome, they also produce ridiculous amounts of juice and having the sugar underneath the plums helps to soak it all up.

Now all I have to do is to arrange my plum halves in the pastry case.  Bottoms up or tops up, doesn't really matter.  Some like their plums in neat lines, others just go for overall coverage.  In view of the speed at which this dessert usually disappears, such artistic considerations seems superfluous.


Bring your tarte aux prunes to the table with a flourish, shoot a smile to the happy audience and serve up 'nature' or accompanied with a little vanilla ice cream.

Bon appetit!


No comments:

Post a Comment