Friday, October 21, 2011

this week we're eating - our favourite risotto



YUMMY!!!  I just adore this recipe, in fact everyone in this house feels the same.  For some unexplained reason we've always known about pumpkins but only recently discovered the star in that family, the butternut squash.  

We love it as a roasted vegetable, in a soup but our ALL TIME favourite is without doubt the squash risotto.

To this end, we have grown squash in the garden for the third year in a row and this week I started picking.




So, without further ado, to warm your autumn evenings and bring a glow of satisfaction to the cheeks of all who taste it, this is how we proceed to make a squash risotto. 



First of all I pour myself a glass of wine.  Are you like me?  I love a small glass of wine to hand while preparing dinner, even if I don't have wine with the meal.

Back to business:  I catch my squash and remove it's not-so-thick skin with a vegetable peeler.   Then I cut it into 2" cubes and drizzle a little olive oil over, crumble the odd sage leaf and some rock salt, before baking in a hot oven until the cubes begin to caramelise at the edges.



 Meantime, back at the ranch, I chop an onion fairly fine and cook it in a little olive oil, then add the arborio rice and stir until the rice becomes translucent.  While the rice does it's stuff I  dissolve a cube of chicken stock in a jug of boiling water.

Once the rice is translucent and the onion beginning to soften nicely, I turn up the heat then pour a glass of dry white wine (not mine!) into the pan.  This will evaporate quite quickly, but adds extra flavour to the risotto, I believe some cooks substitute vermouth for wine - and why not?!

I can now pour my chicken stock into the pan of rice, stirring well and adding more hot liquid as required.  Don't forget, the rice must be very tender, a risotto can never, ever be dry!  
When the rice is nearly ready I add my roasted squash, possibly with a little parmesan cheese, some salt and pepper.  Pop the lid on the pan, and let it relax for a few minutes, while I do the same, confident in the impending success of this humble dish.


To be enjoyed on its own or to accompany meat or fish.

Bon appetit and have a delicious weekend!

pictures with thanks here, here and here

No comments:

Post a Comment