Monday, October 10, 2011

books in the home





We love to have books on shelves in our home, we read a lot, and have always encouraged the children to do the same.

The problem is with bookshelves is that they become quite visually intrusive. Wanting to change the colours in our sitting room and wondering how to tone our bookshelves down, I found these pictures of a home in Paris. They've managed to make the room feel attractive and cosy and still have all their books to hand.



The overall colour effect is grey and beige.  With very pale grey for the walls and white woodwork.  I'm not wild about such light walls in our climate,  I think light walls need more sun and heat,  but I think a warm grey would work well too.  I notice they have a blind for the window, I would have liked to see some curtains too.





I have never hung pictures in front of books, but I can see that it works well here.  Using the shelves of books as a simple backdrop, the pictures stand out far better than if they had been stood on the shelves.




This desk must be a good place to sit and work, 
looking out through the large bay window.



I'd love to know how you display your books,
low key discreet, or loud and obvious?



all pictures with grateful thanks to Mires Paris

No comments:

Post a Comment