Sunday, February 27, 2011

Le C-R-U-N-C-H




We have come to a tricky moment in the year.  Le Crunch.  Le what?!

We are a rugby family,  my husband played, my sons play, we girls cheer... loudly.  Any balls we kick around here are oval - even the dog's!

Any rugby fan will know that this is the season of the 6 nation Rugby tournament, played out between Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Italy, France and England.

All the matches in this tournament are pretty heated, but when it comes to France versus England, there is SO MUCH more to fight over.  Where shall I start?.....  William the Conqueror and the 1066 Battle of Hastings?  .... the delicate episode in 1431 when  the English burnt Joan of Arc at the stake .... I could continue for hours but it's not good for the entente cordiale.

So today, at 5pm London time there will be singing of anthems, drinking of beer and a stadium packed with healthy competitve spirit.  So far in this year's tournament each team is unbeaten, stakes are high.   It's always a delicate moment for me, I've never forgotten I'm British, but my sons root for France and look askance when I yell my encouragement to the boys in white.

I leave you with these pictures of a player appreciated as much on both sides of the channel (not hard to understand that one) the gorgeous Johnny plays for England during international tournament sbut for a French team during the year.  The boy has it all, the looks, the brains, the talent and the charm.



Need I say more?!


No comments:

Post a Comment