Friday, February 4, 2011

draped bedheads and pointed windows


I'm thinking hard about draped and upholstered bedheads here, as I want to do a little redecorating in our guest cottage before the start of the new season.  Loving some of these but I wondered  ....  Could you help with some ideas please?


Here is my problem.  The upstairs bedroom in the cottage is in the roof of the house and therefore has a pointed ceiling, with wooden beams showing.  This makes for a charming room that everyone adores, but leaves me with a difficult wall to treat.  Here is a very unflattering and rather ancient picture,  the room has been improved (alot!) since this shot was taken.  I chose the photo because you see the structure of the room so well.


So I'm thinking that I have this natural point above the bed, so why not dress 
it up and treat it like a real draped bed crown?




could I fit a crown like this around the beam structure?  probably not!  but I'd love to try!



Not wild about this one with so much going on above the bed, but just 
looking at different ways to drape fabric.





But then, my problem is more complicated that that - what do I do with the windows? 
I could pretend they are not there and hide them behind a more square drape.





but that would be tricky because the ceiling is pointed not square.

I turned to Jaques Grange, and noticed that he found deer antlers above the bed and a tiger at the foot of the bed to be the best solution, but I don't think I dare go down that road, sorry Jaques!



So I come full circle and look again at upholstered bedheads, in beautiful colours, 
either following the natural pointed contours of the wall, or the horzontal line of the window.









I'm sure that many of you have thought this one through allready, any ideas most welcome!!


PS.  As your helpful comments start coming in, I realise I should say that this is one end of a long rectangular room, and there are two other windows, one in the centre and one the other end.  Thank you so much for helping me think this through, it really is interesting to see everyone's take.

photo credits here



No comments:

Post a Comment