Saturday, January 22, 2011

le chalet de ski

The February school holidays in France are staggered across the country, so that the whole country isn't on holiday at the same time. The real motive behind this system lies with the French ski industry

These are the holidays when the French traditionally go off skiing.  There are plenty of wonderful ski stations in France, and by spreading out the school holidays they optimize their chances of making the most of their high season.


We try to take the family skiing each year, in France, to Austria or Switzerland. Unlike mon mari et mes enfants, I am an appalling skier.  There is no other way to put it.  As a result of my incompetence I don't see that much of the rest of the family during the day, except the occasional "Hi Mummy" as a blur of shiny colour speeds past me on the ski slope.  

To limit the damage - and the humiliation - I use rackets and walk alot.  What I really, really enjoy is  all the stuff that goes on around the actual skiing.  I like après-ski, I love sitting in the sunshine on the terrace of a restaurant on the slopes, I adore eating fondue and .... I definitely  put high priority on a  chic and cosy chalet!

Where a good skier chooses his ski destination for the challenges on the ski slopes, a bad skier will have his eye trained on wooden chalets, log fires and comfy sofas!

This  French chalet is exactly the sort of thing I would sign up for in a shot.  It has all the ingredients required - soft colours, welcoming armchairs, log fires, traditional design, magnificent views and wide squishy beds.

I love the grey flannel curtains, the antler door handles and the eclectic mix of seating in front of the fire.  How do you like to ski?




 




Don't forget to drop by on Monday, the first day of my giveaway week!  
A new gift to win each day!


photos thanks to Journal de la Maison

No comments:

Post a Comment