Sunday, January 23, 2011

dressing for the hunting season

Now if there's a subject it is wise to tiptoe around, or even completely avoid when you live in the country, it's the pros and cons of hunting.  We are not a hunting family, but I can understand that certain animal populations need to be controlled for the sake of the local farming production.  Whatever .....

Where the hunting season makes itself most keenly felt is in our enjoyment of the forest.  As you know, we ride alot in the forest behind the house, but at this time of year certain precautions need to be taken.


Where we usually take a certain pride in turning out our horses well, and dressing elegantly to ride, the winter sees us often draped in ..... fluorescent yellow.  YUK!   I have a light fluo blanket for the horse, and a normal fluo slip-over for me.   I always apologize to Jacquard my horse before donning this disguise, and he doesn't seem to hold it against me, but it sure ain't chic!

If, while in the forest, I can hear hunters around, I also take the extra precaution of singing!   Very loudly!!  Mostly hits from musical shows, anything I can trot to.  Not really important what I sing, since I do it so badly that the tunes are barely recognisable.  At least if I'm out of their sight, I can be heard.

So if ever you hear of the legend of the crazy woman, riding alone in a forest in Normandy, dressed in yellow and singing out of tune, look no further ... c'est moi!

No comments:

Post a Comment