Monday, April 25, 2011

my garcons and their knives


My eldest boy flies back to the UK tomorrow, last term at university for this year.  I'm always a little heavy hearted when they have to go away again.  So to sooth my maternal heart, I'm following  his suggestion for a boy's post:    Opinel knives.


We live in the countryside - have I already mentioned that?! - and being a fairly hands-on, outdoorsy sort of family, the children have been encouraged to use tools.  I have always seen my boys with a pocket knife, from about the age of 8.  Whittling sticks, cutting up worms, sharing an apple, carving initials - it's just a  country boy's must-have.




The quintessential French pocket knife is the Opinel.  Inexpensive, fold away, sharp, good looking.  The knives are made in the Savoie region of France; a beech wood handle and steel blade.  Originally designed in 1895, they have since acquired design status and feature in museums worldwide.



 How about you, do you have a favourite accessory you associate with your children?

No comments:

Post a Comment