Wednesday, December 1, 2010

holly bush tutorial


I love having Holly bush topiary either side of my front door for the holidays.  Only hitch in that is that topiaries are pricey and it's very difficult to get them with berries.  Each year I solve this minor dilemma by making by very own holly bushes.  Here's how.




Position a thick straight branch in a terracotta pot  and jam it into 
place with large stones, sand and gravel.



Attach chicken wire and large pieces of florists foam to the top of the stick.
This part doesn't have to look good but it must hold well.



Raid a holly tree, I have a huge one in my garden,  for branches with berries.  
For each topiary I use a whole wheelbarrow of holly branches.


 Start pushing in the ends of the holly branches.  Bearing in mind the 
finished size you are aiming for and keeping 
the wire and foam evenly covered until they disappear completely.



 Find a basket full of moss, yes . I'm afraid that is snow on mine, I told you it was cold here!


Lay the moss neatly around the base of the 'tree', making sure 
that the gravel and stones are completely hidden.


Position the pot and turn to wave to the admiring crowd, well ...
to the occasional blackbird in my case!


We just need to add a few lights, but that will have to wait until this weekend!



Hope you liked my little "how-to" ...
more ideas coming soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment