Tuesday, December 28, 2010

blow away the cobwebs

When I was little, my mother used to insist on hauling us down to the (freezing cold) seaside on the first day of the New Year.  "It's good to blow away the cobwebs" she'd  call above the fierce north wind "a fresh start for the year to come".....

Well, I'm not sure that my children would jump for joy if I suggested the same activity, but something of her attitude has stayed with me and this is definitely the moment in the year when I start feeling the need to sort out and put away.  Clear my desk, shelves, wardrobe and start the new year with good, if slightly unrealistic, intentions of order and tidiness.   After the clutter of opening Christmas presents and the house packed with guests, I long for lightness, pale colours and simple lines.

I won't be packing up Christmas for another week or so but in the meantime these pictures are doing me good!


 




all pictures thanks to Decorative Country Living


No comments:

Post a Comment