Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Oh for a sun porch!

 

There is one thing I have always longed for, and that is a sun porch.  I imagine myself blissfully swinging on one of those hanging seats, sipping home-made lemonade, and conversing quietly with a friend while my wonderful children read or sew....!!   No maybe not!   You're right, no point reaching for the impossible, but  I do love the idea of having somewhere to sit and watch the evening descend upon the garden.


Of course in our house, the beautiful decking would inevitably end up littered with muddy boots, riding tack, secateurs,  and water bowl for the dog.  Maybe we're just not quite together enough.  Maybe a sun porch has to be deserved.  Maybe if I'm a better person in my next life I will have an elegant porch, looking out over manicured lawns, and a friendly, well-meaning gardener who will come and say "Pardon me, but where would madam like the peonies"!!




 The only place we did enjoy a real wrap around porch was when Le Husband and I  lived in India.  There we had the lot; the teak furniture, the jasmin flowers spilling onto the terrace, even monkeys coming by to steal fruit from the table!

 


 I have to face up to it.  Normandy may be lovely but it's not here that I'll be able to swing on the terrace.
Those pleasures will wait to be rediscovered, perhaps the day I visit friends in sunny Georgia, or Brisbane.



  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment