Wednesday, November 23, 2011

advice to daphne - staying chic this winter

Daphne was thrilled with my advice on staying slim, apparently she's melting away and wants to rethink her 'look', she sweetly asked for my ideas on what the well dressed woman should be wearing this winter.


My sweet Daphne

I'm so happy to learn that you followed my advice (all except the last bit I hope!) and that the kilos are dropping off, and I wasn't at all surprised to hear that you need to replace your wardrobe and you're worried about looking chic this winter.



Of course if you had moved out close to me in the country as I suggested when you arrived last year (remember!!) , you could spend your days like me in riding boots, a jumper and a pair of jeans!  You however chose to live in Versailles, and now you have to go with their dress code.  Believe me honey, if you don't look the part you'll have a tough time fitting in.


First things first - please! please darling!   forget the track suit, unless you are jogging or playing winter tennis!  To blend in perfectly when invited to sip café at a copine's house, or to take your children to school, I would suggest neutrals.






















The other thing to totally forget my dear is trainers, sports shoes,  anything built for comfort. From now on you don't think comfort you think pretty, chic and well presented.  Of course I don't expect you to race around all day in high heels, but a pair of ballerines must become an essential part of your wardrobe, as well as a good pair of boots that you'll either pull over your skinny jeans or wear with black tights and a chic little skirt that comes just above your new found knee!





Of course your bag will always match your foot wear, which brings us to the other vital winter accessories, the scarf.  Wool, silk, cotton, whatever works, to be knotted effortlessly around your neck or the collar of your coat.  When you're not wearing it just tie it to your handbag!



And while you're buying yourself a scarf, why don't you pick one up for your darling husband as well, I guarantee he'll look instantly French, and even more gorgeous




I know that your social diary is filling up fast,  and I'm so glad that you've already noticed how the french women manage to look chic without looking overdone.  Stay light on the make up, hardly-there foundation, and either eyes or mouth emphasised, but never both, and never too bold. A dab of perfume and you're done!

 For evenings it's best to stay simple, here again you can go with neutrals, 



otherwise the LBD always works, maybe a touch of pink, lime green or a red accessory.




Voila my dear, I have to be quick today as I have horses to feed and children to collect from school!  Do come and visit with us soon, there are some friends I'm dying to introduce you to, we'd have a ball!

ton amie
S

all pictures thanks to Cyrillus

No comments:

Post a Comment