Saturday, May 15, 2010

when blogging becomes art - my first guest artist





Every day I visit more wonderful blogs than I care to admit. There are the funny blogs, the design blogs, the happy mom blogs, the foodies and now and again there are the blogs that raise blogging to an art form.






So what makes these blogs stand out in the crowd ?  The quality of their photos of course, the lyricism of their texts and their choice of subjects which must surely be dictated by their artist's soul.




In our blogosphere Julie is the shining example.  Blogging under the title Being Ruby she's  known for the beauty of her pictures as well as the poetry of her words.   You only have to look at the long line of comments we leave after her posts to know how much she is appreciated.   In return, anyone who has received a comment from Julie  will tell you how thoughtful and generous she is.




It's not too easy to get her to talk because she seems to find it hard to accept the admiration we express for her pictures.  I must tell you that the words "I just point and shoot" were uttered, ...  proof - if required - of her modesty.  She tries to insist on how she has no technique, she'd like us to believe the photos almost take themselves.

"Luckily for me, I seem to have finally found an outlet for my constant ruminations. A visual outlet where the mind can take a holiday, the calculations and hypothesis are left at the door."



Among Julie's recurring themes are travelling and she recently hosted a fantastic giveaway on her Venice pictures.   Believe me - I've been to several of the places that Julie has photographed, but  my snaps look nothing like hers!   Holiday destinations seem to become more photogenic through Julie's lens.




When she had to start scanning her old holiday pics to use them for her blog she discovered the joys of re-working or altering a photo, and soon realised how much it suited her methodical nature.

I am an analyst of detail, by trade and nature. Unfortunately there can be both positives and negatives to this attribute. Constantly re-reviewing and reconsidering every aspect of your work will sometimes spill over into your daily life and the results are never pretty.......  Lately though, I seem to have found a creative outlet for this annoying trait. A method to review, refine, invert, revert and 'per-mutate', that does not require mental acuity and in fact allows me to unwind, relax and just find beauty and calm in the ‘sometimes accidental’ resulting images.  ......... In fact I think it has become almost a meditative process for me.




Even though we are running out of superlatives to describe her blog, she still doesn't really seem to believe that what she does is credible, that she's authorised to claim this talent as her own.


 "it is interesting to me at least how this ... has become my hobby.. .. and to remember that I loved art as a child... I just gave it up as my brother was so good I felt like an impostor .. I think the same thing happened with photography... a few years back my brother studied art and photography and now has his own business.. so once again... the impostor"




". I am thinking of getting a new camera and will be getting my brother to help me choose the right one.... however.. for the alterations .... I just like to wing it... each photo dictates it's path.. I don't really decide I want it to be a certain look.. "




I've often seen comments where some of us suggest to Julie that she could use her photography professionally, but for the moment she seems unconvinced.

".. finding this hobby was really a life saver for me last year when I was working 80hrs a week .... although I didn't have much time for anything else....I really needed an outlet to unwind.. and playing with my photos and blogging was brilliant in that respect...now it is just an addictive... but one I love..... I'm not sure whether I would want to be a photographer... maybe... though like anything you start out with very little income  ....I think though If one started out young that would be a different story..."





So there we are, I don't think I need to add anything more, Julie's words and pictures are eloquent enough.  But I am sure that I can speak for all of you and say Thank You Julie  for the poetry you bring into our daily lives.

In the highly unlikely event of you not having been over to see her before,  may I  suggest that you click HERE straight away.  She's just posted a giveaway so, instead of leaving your lovely comments to me, leave them to Julie  ...   they are rightly hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment