Wednesday, December 7, 2011

a beautiful home



I'm in a fr-e-e-e-zing cold England for a few days this week, visiting with family and doing some Christmas shopping with my mum.    One of my sisters conjured up a wonderful surprise for me and provided me with today's post.



I have to tell you that my sister Nicola is an über-talented interior designer, working in the south east of England.  Later this week I'll show you the sweetest cottage that she has just finished, but today she invited  me to tag along to see a client who graciously allowed me to let me take pictures.








The grounds of the house are stunning, planted carefully to provide year-round interest and give real structure to what is a very large area.  Pieces of modern sculpture are used to compliment   the landscape design and the architecture of the house and outbuildings.





If it all looks this good early december, just imagine how wonderful the garden must be in June!!







isn't this tree house to die for?!  - just imagine the tea parties that could be held up here!



A part of the house is Tudor,  dating back to the 15th century.   It has been extended several times through the years but always in keeping with the original architecture.








Indoors it was important not not be overwhelmed by the history and size of the house and create a comfortable setting for everyday living.









Nicola had fun creating this family cinema room - and so did the upholsterer who had to follow her specs on the plaid sofa! :)






The pictures speak for themselves, but the lasting memory of this home for me will be the relaxed and welcoming atmosphere, a real family home.  This is surely what a really good interior designer working with   discerning clients is meant to achieve; effortless ease and elegance.



No comments:

Post a Comment