Friday, June 24, 2011

mon bouquet du jour





 Still having fun and making the most of the flowers in the garden.  Several readers were kind enough to ask me questions about last week's bouquet, so this week please indulge me while I give a mini tutorial!



First thing to know is that it's worth picking a lot of flowers even for a small arrangement such as this.  As you can see I used several branches of 1- poppy, 2 - rue,  3 - euphorbia, 4 - pink rose, 5 - mahonia, 6 - apricot rose and my essential rose 7 - pierre de ronsard


For this arrangement I used a vintage gravy boat, filled with floral foam.  It doesn't matter if the foam isn't new, it can be quite expensive to buy, I use mine again and again.

 


Always start with the background colour or filler.  Here the euphorbia.  When composing arrangements like this it's best to build up crescendo to the stars of the arrangement, strategically positioned last of all.



Here I'm beginning to give some body, and define the outline of the bouquet.  You can see how heavy the rose heads are at this time of year, I actually worked them up resting on top of each other.  Until finally I added the apricot roses, their touch of soft orange lifted the whole arrangement and made the other colours stand out.




Voila!  A touch of beauty to enjoy, and ready in ten minutes. 
How I love these simple country pleasures.




No comments:

Post a Comment