Sunday, April 18, 2010

workaway

I wonder how many of you know about workaway?  It's a site that puts people in touch.  Not like a matrimonial agency in touch, but more of a job seeker, back packer, looking for a place to sleep in touch.



Basically if you got behind in your garden, or you don't know when you'll have time to fix that fence, or you'd really like the shutters painted white but can't be bothered to do it yourself,  then this could be for you. 

I first found the site while looking for ideas for my daughter's gap year next year.  Once we filled out her 'profile', I decided to put up an ad for me as well, as a host that is,  not as a worker.   Ever since, to my total amazement, I get a couple of mails a week from all over the world, people offering to come and do jobs for me in exchange for some board and lodging.



Is your hair standing on end?

I'm sure that some may find the whole concept of hosting strangers a bit worrying, but here we're pretty laid back, and quite curious , and keen for the kids to meet people from outside our immediate circle of friends and acquaintances.

Through the winter I said no to everyone because it was just too cold and revolting outside to do anything at all.  But a couple of weeks ago we had our first 'workawayer'  for a few days, a lovely young girl from Lithuania who was totally charming.  She worked hard and did miracles in my garden, she left our guest cottage perfectly clean and tidy, and was really fun and friendly.

We still haven't found anything for my daughter, but I'm now considering hosting a couple of students from New York in May!  Has anyone else done this?

No comments:

Post a Comment