Saturday, February 6, 2010

Tea-time

I may have lived in France for a very long time, but few things could be more british, and few things could make me happier than a real tea-time.  My children are too big now for big birthday tea parties with ribbons, balloons and fancy cakes.  But I so love baking for a real tea that I am capable of contriving situations so that friends find themselves at home, with as many children as they can muster, just in time for tea in front of a roaring fire if it's cold, or out on the terrace when sunny.

The real british classic is the Victoria Sponge, coffee and walnut is our favourite.

Half the fun is the presentation, I love to see eyes feasting before a cake has even got to the lips!



Some classics need no introduction, and recipes like these are so easy, that the children can make them themselves from an early age.  One of my daughters is turning out to be a really good pastry cook.  As my grandmother used to say, she has cool hands and light fingers, you can't make good cakes without them!





I saw this picture in Country Living and I've promised myself that next time I'll try and produce something this pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment