Sunday, October 17, 2010

Halloween en France - my very own cimetière !

Halloween is about to happen, and although it's not a very big thing in France, we always think it's a good excuse to dress up and party.

Since I found a wonderful American book on pumpkin carving we tend to get quite excited about green, orange and white pumpkins.  We carve, add candles, make pumpkin soup and grill the seeds in olive oil and a little rock salt.

BUT our piece de resistance for our Halloween parties is our very own cimetière!  Yup, you  heard that right, cimetière  is French for cemetery.  Now how wonderful is this?!




 We are the proud owners of 14 gravestones and the entrance to a family tomb, complete with bent iron railings, and cracked stone pillars.  The gravestones are carefully positioned all over the grass and up lit with candles.  The tomb entrance fits neatly around the smaller door to our barn, leading the unsuspecting guest into a nightmare of spider webs and spookiness.





 I would like to be able to say that I was clever enough to make this, but I have to give all the credit to our talented friend Fabrice Alberti, whose work I've already shown you, and who made the cemetery for his daughter's Angèle's Halloween party when they were still living in France.  Angèle is now a sophisticated young lady in London but I'm sure she'll giggle if she sees these pictures and remembers cutting out the "stones" with her papa.

The day the Alberti family left for the States,  they bequeathed the cemetery to us and for that we are eternally grateful!






I shouldn't say this, but not even Martha Stewart has done anything this spectacular!

Happy Halloween!


PS.  Keep your eyes and ears open this week, I'll be announcing a give away.

PPS  There still seems to be a problem leaving comments on my blog.  Can't get it figured.  If you have difficulty leaving a comment, would you mind taking a minute to send me an email here and explain what happened.  Many thanks, I think I need your help to fix this!




No comments:

Post a Comment